[Catalog-sig] Add link to secure connection to the PyPI front page

Justin Cappos justinc at cs.washington.edu
Sat Jun 4 22:37:28 CEST 2011

It depends on the threat model which is worse.

If you're worried about the Chinese govt inserting malicious packages
to track dissidents then using an universally accepted SSL cert is a
bad idea.   It's easy for a powerful and motivated attacker to get
arbitrary certs signed.

If you think that the risk of having the certificate stolen, loss of
administrative control, etc. is a bigger threat, then an universally
accepted SSL cert seems the wiser outcome.

Of course, if distutils and other tools don't check certs, etc. this
is all academic...

Thanks,
Justin