[Catalog-sig] Is this spam?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jun 3 22:22:39 CEST 2011

On 6/3/2011 4:17 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>> This package:
>>
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PDFTron%20PDFNet%20SDK%20for%20Python/5.7
>>
>> ...feels a lot like spam.
>>
>> The mention of Python if you follow through to their page is pretty
>> minimal. Not sure it belongs on PyPI.
>>
>> What do others think?
>
> Have you tried downloading their SDK ?
>
> http://www.pdftron.com/pdfnet/downloads.html
>
> It comes with a Python wrapper for their library, so it's legitimate.

I am a bit confused about what is considered eligible for listing on PyPI.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi  says only
The Python Package Index is a repository of software for the Python
programming language.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopTutorial  says
If you have some free software or open source modules that you've
polished up and would like to contribute,

but perhaps that was not meant to exclude other software or perhaps it
is obsolete.

--
Terry Jan Reedy