[Catalog-sig] an immutable mirror of PyPI

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Jul 15 14:01:18 CEST 2011

On 07/06/2011 03:19 AM, P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 08:56 PM 7/5/2011 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Sure. Unacceptable interference with the freedom of package authors to
>> remove stuff. Unacceptable because developers need
>> the freedom to remove old versions of their software from the
>> internet. :)
>
> You still seem to be ignoring the part where insisting that people keep
> old things around for your convenience *also* means they get support
> requests from everyone *else* on the internet. In other words, a package
> author has to pay an (ongoing and perpetual) support cost for your
> temporary convenience.
>
> You are not making a principled moral stand here. Rather, you are asking
> that other people be made to carry an additional cost, for your benefit,
> on the basis that you don't think their cost is important, but you think
> your benefit is.

A package once released to the Internet can be kept by someone else on
the Internet, no matter what the original package author has to say, if
that package has a license which permits it.

I'm looking for a way to make packages stay unchanged in a way
convenient for myself and others.

Regards,

Martijn

P.S. Concerning morality, way off topic. Perhaps reflect on impugning
someone's morality as an aspect of moral behavior? Thanks.