[Catalog-sig] Stable-releases-only PyPi

Sergey Schetinin sergey at maluke.com
Mon Jul 11 21:32:36 CEST 2011

On 11 July 2011 22:20, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Sergey Schetinin <sergey at maluke.com> wrote:
>>
>> That webapp (it's not *really* a proxy) took me about two hours total,
>> and it has to query pypi, guess what is stable and not, cache the
>> results.
>
> how do you guess it ? that's an interesting part

Well, I mentioned it in linked post. Basically at first I was doing just this:

_rx_final = re.compile(r'[\d\.]+\Z')

def is_final(ver):
    return bool(_rx_final.match(ver))

But to implement the most-stable filter, I changed it to this:
http://pastebin.com/JVVAJ9hE

>> If there's no guessing and all data is local, how hard can it
>> be? I'm not asking anyone to do it, but it does look like it would be
>> a simpler, more immediate solution.
>
> istm that it can be complex to have it working over the mirrors,
> unless it's a proxy on client-side.
> But then we're closer to a client-side change I guess.

Given the existing mirrors infrastructure it is indeed hard. If the
mirrors were demoted to just serving downloads and not the index, they
could still be used with such an index as-is. As I said, I have to
agree it would be impractical to add a stable-only pypi index and try
to mirror it as well.

--
http://self.maluke.com/