[Catalog-sig] disallowing the removal of packages?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jul 5 19:53:30 CEST 2011

Hi there,

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 7:46 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Not at all. I can see the problem you are having. I'm just suggesting
> that you should take an entirely different approach to solving it,
> instead of the one you are heading to (i.e. make the download place
> provide packages "forever").

Heading to? I've been doing this stuff since 2007. :) In a typical
project I'm consuming 20 to a 200 packages, of which I'm maintaining
myself perhaps 5 to 20%. The stuff I use typically isn't in Debian or
has a version in Debian I don't want to use.

It's working pretty well, but this was a small snag I had recently,
and I thought, hey, let's see how to improve things. This is my
secondary response a few weeks after the event: the first was of
course to fix my project and to contact the author.

I now think a special mirror might be the simplest way to solve this,
since mirroring infrastructure already exist.

Regards,

Martijn