[Catalog-sig] disallowing the removal of packages?

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Tue Jul 5 13:16:39 CEST 2011

Op 05-07-11 09:51, "Martin v. Löwis" schreef:
> I *personally* think you are exaggerating your case. If you are using
> a package, avoid sticking to a specific version of the software, and
> instead write the package in a way that will work with many versions
> of the library. If the library is too unstable, don't use it at all.
> If the library has an incompatible change, report it as a bug; if
> the author can bring convincing arguments why there must be that
> change, cope with it.
>
> IOW, just don't use old versions when newer versions are available
> and maintained.

In my case, usually when I start a new (client) project for which I need
package foo I use the latest release 1.0.  The problems is that most of
the time I do not know yet if a new version (whether that is going to be
1.0.1, 1.1 or 2.0) is going to cause backwards compatibility problems.
And this may be the first time I am using package foo so I do not know
yet if this author prefers to actively delete old versions.

FWIW, I am using a pypi mirror created with collective.eggproxy as an
index so that packages I use in my buildouts are available on that
mirror (so only actually used packages are mirrored).  This shields me
at least partially from these problems.

Cheers,

--
Maurits van Rees