[Catalog-sig] API search by python version (or classifier)

Brian Jones bkjones at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 15:06:56 CET 2011

Hi all,

I'm wondering how hard it would be to provide a search by either Python
version, or better, classifier?

In truth, I'm wondering about all sorts of features that might bring PyPI
into the current century, for example, a REST interface, more robust (and
faster) searching capabilities (like searching by dependency), a more
intuitive notion of 'ranking', tagging, an API for easy_install-like tools
that don't require scraping, etc. Is any of this on the radar? Is there a
published document along the lines of '2011 Goals'? Is the TODO list the
only current notion of a roadmap for PyPI?

I've written an application myself to provide PyPI-like features internally
due to frustration in dealing with PyPI itself from a dev perspective. I
gather that supporting external developers was probably not an initial
design goal of PyPI. Is that still the case, or are there any concrete plans
to enhance this side of the offering? I'd be willing to have a look and help
out if there was some consensus around what direction things need to move.

brian

--
Brian K. Jones
My Blog          http://www.protocolostomy.com