[Catalog-sig] "python 2 only" classifier

Yuval Greenfield ubershmekel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 13:35:03 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> The use of trove classifiers at all isn't compulsory on PyPI, so although
> I agree it would be *preferable* for all authors to use them correctly I
> don't think PyPI is going to require it any time soon.

Are we happy that it isn't compulsory? I mean, there are a lot of
compulsory lines in setup.py/cfg, why not require a compatibility tag?

>From a backwards compatibility standpoint, I guess a warning could be
emitted for a year or 2 until the compatibility classifiers are actually
mandatory.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's struggled with eg Scapy working only on
2.6 and not 2.7, which is only a minor occurrence compared to the great
py3k divide.

Yuval Greenfield