[Catalog-sig] How about a dedicated web service mirror?

Daniel Greenfeld pydanny at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 19:29:01 CEST 2011

Here is something that we all might find useful.

When Python Packages launches it will be hitting the XMLRPC server
over 10,000 times a day - at least once per listed package. Django
Packages already hits PyPI about 3000 times a day. We'll be doing this
in a distributed task queu but the fact remains that the server is
going to be hit a decent amount.

Because of the relative ease of setting up the Packaginator tool these
sites are building other people will also be using this same API. Or
maybe they'll build their own system and do even more.

So maybe dedicated mirrors that truncate the web UI and just provide
the web service API?

Cheers,

--
'Knowledge is Power'