[Catalog-sig] Please turn off ratings

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Apr 6 00:24:51 CEST 2011

> Those look like good examples. They clearly, to me anyway, show that
> ratings, especially with comments can provide value to people looking
> for packages.
>
> Obviously, it's fair to ask whether the good outweighs the bad.

Indeed. I believe that package authors and package users have
diametrical desires in this matter, and that catalog-sig leans towards
the author's side of the things.

There have been objective complaints about the comment feature - namely,
that it puts a burden on the authors to consider another
support channel. This concern is now resolved by authors being able
to opt out of comments. I wonder what other objective complaints
are: "unfair press" can't be it - users are well able to evaluate
the comments also, and judge whether 2 ratings on package are relevant
or not.

In any case, I would be willing to move this off-site (preferably
if somebody is willing to maintain it as a separate infrastructure),
as long as I am allowed to direct users to this offsite service.