[Catalog-sig] egg_info in PyPI

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Sep 20 22:34:20 CEST 2010

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> IMHO, most of this has been resolved by means of the XML-RPC
>>> interface via the .release_data() method:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPiXmlRpc
>>>
>>> If there's something missing, we should add it there.
>>
>> Very clearly, most of egg-info is missing there. However, I
>> sense that people are very opposed to adding it there.
>>
>> I merely asked whether it was ok to expose the egg-info
>> data at all, and was met with strong opposition - nobody
>> actually asked what specific API to expose them I had in
>> mind.
>
> If the use case is to provide a way to build a dependency graph just
> by querying PyPI, that's exactly what we have in mind in pep 345.

I think I lost you there... .release_data() does provide the
PEP 345 meta-data, at least according to the documentation.

Whether PyPI actually has the data depends on how the release
was registered with PyPI, of course.

BTW: Something in the RPC interface or the distutils
register command is not really up to speed yet, since the
data appears to be a bit mangled at the moment (key and value
are reversed for a few entries):

>>> pprint.pprint(client.release_data('egenix-mxodbc', '3.1.0'))
{'3.1.0': 'cheesecake_documentation_id',
 'Windows,Linux,FreeBSD,Solaris,Mac OS X,AIX': 'version',
 '_pypi_hidden': <Boolean False at 933488>,
 '_pypi_ordering': 15,
 'classifiers': ['Development Status :: 5 - Production/Stable',
                 'Development Status :: 6 - Mature',
                 'Environment :: Console',
                 'Environment :: No Input/Output (Daemon)',
                 'Intended Audience :: Developers',
                 'License :: Other/Proprietary License',
                 'Natural Language :: English',
                 'Operating System :: MacOS',
                 'Operating System :: Microsoft :: Windows',
                 'Operating System :: OS Independent',
                 'Operating System :: Other OS',
                 'Operating System :: POSIX',
                 'Operating System :: Unix',
                 'Programming Language :: C',
                 'Programming Language :: Python',
                 'Programming Language :: Python :: 2',
                 'Programming Language :: Python :: 2.3',
                 'Programming Language :: Python :: 2.4',
                 'Programming Language :: Python :: 2.5',
                 'Programming Language :: Python :: 2.6',
                 'Programming Language :: Python :: 2.7',
                 'Topic :: Communications',
                 'Topic :: Database',
                 'Topic :: Database :: Database Engines/Servers',
                 'Topic :: Database :: Front-Ends',
                 'Topic :: Documentation',
                 'Topic :: Internet',
                 'Topic :: Office/Business',
                 'Topic :: Software Development',
                 'Topic :: Software Development :: Libraries',
                 'Topic :: Software Development :: Libraries :: Application Frameworks',
                 'Topic :: Software Development :: Libraries :: Python Modules',
                 'Topic :: Utilities'],
 'description': 'The mxODBC Database Interface for Python is a commercial add-on to our\nopen-source
eGenix mx Extension Series, providing robust and proven database\naccess for Python on all major
platforms, such as Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, \nFreeBSD, Solaris, using a single API.\n\nmxODBC works
with Python 2.3 - 2.7 and supports 32-bit as well as\n64-bit platforms.\n\nPlease contact
sales at egenix.com for evaluation licenses or visit the\neGenix.com online-shop to purchase licenses
at http://www.egenix.com/.\n\nThis software is brought to you by eGenix.com and distributed
under\nthe eGenix.com Commercial License 1.3.0.',
 'eGenix.com GmbH': 'author_email',
 'home_page': 'http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/',
 'http://pypi.python.org/pypi/egenix-mxodbc': 'author',
 'http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/': 'platform',
 'info at egenix.com': 'download_url',
 'keywords': 'package_url',
 'license': 'eGenix.com Commercial License 1.3.0; Copyright (c) 1997-2000, Marc-Andre Lemburg, All
Rights Reserved; Copyright (c) 2000-2010, eGenix.com Software GmbH, All Rights Reserved',
 'maintainer': 'requires_python',
 'maintainer_email': 'cheesecake_code_kwalitee_id',
 'name': 'egenix-mxodbc',
 'release_url': 'http://pypi.python.org/pypi/egenix-mxodbc/3.1.0',
 'stable_version': 'cheesecake_installability_id',
 'summary': 'eGenix mxODBC - ODBC Database Interface for Python'}

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 20 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/