[Catalog-sig] [Python-Dev] egg_info in PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 18 17:19:46 CEST 2010

> So, I don't understand what is the benefit here, since a serious
> installer will re-run egg_info every time.

I think the main applications that people are after are not builds.
They want the dependency information without downloading the packages,
and dependency information for packages they have no plans to install.

In the specific case of tl.eggdeps, the dependency information is only
used to create printable graphs. If this turns out to be slightly
incorrect, people would notice if they try to use the packages in
question.

> Coming from the Plone/buildout community, I would be concerned if
> buildout would rely on this. json, ldap, mysql you name it --I have
> tons of other examples--  all those dependencies will not be accurate
> unless you re-run setup.py egg_info. "Good enough metadata" sounds
> completely wrong to me.

Still, people ask for it. I'm fine with telling them that the data
is flawed for various reasons. I object to denying them the data,
and I really dislike having to discard the patch that I already
wrote to implement it.