[Catalog-sig] egg_info in PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 18 09:52:01 CEST 2010

> I am in full agreement with Tarek here. At ActiveState, we maintain
> our own index that differs from PyPI in two ways (among others):

I think you are saying something very different from what Tarek
says. IIUC, you are saying that egg-info is ill-defined and may
cause subtle problems. So you are saying there is a problem for
the users of the data. I could live with that - it's the user's
choice to use these data, after all.

Tarek is saying that it will be evil and bad for the community
to unpack some zip files. I find that statement itself counter-productive.

> Ideally, in future - I should be able to query static metadata (with
> environment markers[2] and such) for *any* package from PyPI. And
> this static metadata is simply a DIST-INFO file (instead of being a
> directory with a bunch of files in it). I don't really see a point in
> providing access to, say, the list of entry points of each package.

Again, that is completely different from what Tarek is saying.

You said (just now, and literally): "I don't really see a point".
Converting this to the -1/0/+1 system, it sounds like +0 to me:
you are unlikely to ever use this data.

This is perfectly fine with me: I won't use the data myself, either.
However, I fail to see why this should stop me from providing the
data, when there are people requesting this feature over and over
again. I'd like to see some of Python's "consenting adults" attitude
here.