[Catalog-sig] egg_info in PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 18 09:31:49 CEST 2010

> Since egg_info results may vary depending on the platform used to built
> it, how do you plan to do this so people can use these files ?

See below for how exactly the data is provided (in particular, the
oldest egg is used, unless the user explicitly posts other data).

Whether or not the data is useful to anybody else, I don't know
(I don't use eggs myself).
Jim said it will be useful to him, so did a number of other people.
PyPI itself will not try to interpret the data in any way.

> That s what we are trying to solve in pep345 by having context free metada

Sure. I expect that this service remains useful only until all packages
have been converted to PEP 345.