[Catalog-sig] ANN: PyPM Index

Noah Kantrowitz noah at coderanger.net
Thu Nov 11 05:03:23 CET 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 7:50 PM, Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:

>>> the
>>> of
>> All of my projects that I looked were marked as requiring a
>> subscription:
>> http://code.activestate.com/pypm/pyzen/. " Builds marked with a
>> lock icon
>> are only available via PyPM to users with a current ActivePython
>> Business
>> Edition subscription." Perhaps this is just a bug?
> No, not a bug. I just forgot to note that Windows 64-bit in general
> requires a Business Edition license to install any package from
> PyPM. Therefore, all of your projects' binary builds under http://code.activestate.com/pypm/author:Noah-Kantrowitz/
>  are available for free except on Windows 64-bit.

Which I'm not sure I like. I certainly can't force you to change given
the terms of the BSD license, but it seems odd that a package could
have an egg or sdist on PyPI that will work just fine under Win64 and
yet you charge for it on your system. There are certainly packages out
there for which commercially supported Windows builds are a huge win
for many people, but to apply that brush to everything single package
on the free, public index? It just makes me uneasy.

>> There is also the part on
>> the side about buying a redistribution license.
> Yes, an OEM license is required if you want to commercially
> *redistribute* (not use) ActivePerl, ActivePython or ActiveTcl (the
> core interpreter and its support libraries).

It could be misinterpreted from that page to imply that a license is
required to redistribute that particular package.

--Noah