[Catalog-sig] Callbacks and Data access

Venkatraman S venkat83 at gmail.com
Wed May 5 08:05:08 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>wrote:

> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> >> Basically, i would like to know how many downloads have happened over a
> >> course of time.
> >> Think in terms of a chart with the X-axis being the months/year and
> >> y-axis being number of downloads.
> >
> > No, that is currently not available.
>
> Actually, it *is* available, see
>
> http://pypi.python.org/webstats/

Looks good, but the page suffers from information overload.
I basically want to know given a package X, the download and release
history(timeline) of it along with the package details.

Also, i want to know whether it would be 'legally' correct if i present the
data in my website in a 'better way' and link to pypi for downloading the
package?
The idea is I want to develop a Python Toolbox that the community doesnt
have presently (i am working on a prototype
here<http://pytoolbox.appspot.com/>- the site is still in its alpha
and i am working on it). Presenting
information in a much visually appealing way and also helping to choose
between the packages would be the goal. Any money generated will be used for
promoting Python in India (like sponsoring python based events or tech
contests). (I can write more, but reserve it for latter)

-Venkat