[Catalog-sig] Callbacks and Data access

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed May 5 07:09:32 CEST 2010

> 1)  Is it possible to get the download statistics on a timeline basis?

Unfortunately, I don't understand the question: what statistics do you
want to download, and what does "timeline basis" mean?

> 2)  Can i have some callbacks which tells me when Pypi is updated - as
> in, when a new package is updated, or an existing package is updated or
> a new release is launched?

Yes, there is a pubsubhubbub notification set up for the RSS feed

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=lasthour

> 3)  Is it possible to get all the data from PyPi in one go? basically
> get an export?

If, by "all data", you really mean "all data" (including the actual
package files), then no.

It isn't possible to get *all* data even one-by-one. Some data (e.g.
account information) is not available to the public.

If you plan to do mirroring, please be careful not to download
everything repeatedly, or else your IP may get blocked.

> 4) I am not sure whether XMLRPC is the best way to access data - is
> there some other way?(other than crawling?)

Yes, there is the Simple API, which is REST-based

http://pypi.python.org/simple/