[Catalog-sig] Rewrite PyPI for App Engine?

Mathieu Leduc-Hamel marrakis at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 10:44:39 CEST 2010

> Its mostly a question of ongoing management. Apache+Linux+$SQLSERVER+etc
> can certainly handle our needs (which, lets face it, aren't really that
> complex), but we don't have a full-time management staff for our server. By
> leaning on Google (or Amazon, Rackspace, etc) we don't have to worry about
> the day-to-day details of running the site. How many of the recent PyPI
> downtimes have just required bouncing Apache? Wouldn't it have been nice if
> a site engineer got paged within 60 seconds and had it dealt with soon after
> instead of having to wait for one of the PyPI volunteers to notice and get
> to a computer? It isn't a question of capability, it is just where are our
> man-hours best spent: simple maintenance or actually improving the site?

True GAE will allow us to have a good cloud implentation but:

- Right now the problem we faced with PyPI is not necessarily related to the
server or the type of deployment. We concentrated the discussion on the type
of server or which platform but we completely forgot to think about if the
code is working !

- Maybe switching to something else will just make PyPI to restart more
frequently.

It's the first law of optimization we need to find were the problem came
from !