[Catalog-sig] Proposal: Move PyPI static data to the cloud for better availability

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 00:01:58 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:24 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
[..]
>> I am just arguing that I don't think it's the best solution, compared to what
>> was started e.g. a community network of mirrors.
>
> I've heard you, but still disagree. I think we'll just have to
> leave it at that.

Sure. Although, I am pretty sure we will come up with a consensus here
at some point :)

[..]
>> So why don't we implement the best solution ? Maybe we could use a wiki page
>> and work on a synthetic overview of the pros and cons.
>
> Again: I don't want to compete against the PEP. I'm looking
> for a solution that's easy to implement and doesn't get in the
> way. That's all. Nothing more.
>
> If you can come up with a solution that's ready in a month or two,
> I'll happily wait.

If I understood Martin correctly, he did some work and things are looking good;
so I'll let him answer.

Adding the failover part in distribute/pip shouldn't be too long
though,  falling back to a mirror is
a small change.

What's important also, is to make sure z3c.pypimirror includes the
server-side work,
so existing mirrors can be upgraded.

Regards
Tarek