[Catalog-sig] Proposal: Move PyPI static data to the cloud for better availability

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jun 15 19:43:31 CEST 2010

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

>>> Mirrors already exists out there, so unless you ban them (which would
>>> be a really bad idea)
>>> setting up a cloud will not fix any legal issue if you think there's a
>>> legal issue.
>>>
>>> In any case, you can't prevent people from creating mirrors even if you
>>> would say its illegal. Moreover, having mirrors provided by the community
>>> is way better than relying on one single entity (the PSF) for this.
>>> (if we think "decentralized")
>>
>> Why is having community mirrors better than one managed by the PSF?
>
> Because it's not controlled anymore by one single entity. For example,
> if something is broken in the system
> and need a human intervention, and the sysadmin people are not
> available, we get a downtime.

I'm not sure I understand: if the PyPI server goes down, the
data will still be readily available on Amazon S3 and Cloudfront
caches - the cronjobs copy over the PyPI server content to S3
and Cloudfront serves it up from there.

And if Cloudfront or S3 goes down, client tools could still
try to access the PyPI server. (I'll add a note about that to
the proposal.)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 15 2010)
2010-07-19: EuroPython 2010, Birmingham, UK                33 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/