[Catalog-sig] Proposal: Move PyPI static data to the cloud for better availability

Alexis Métaireau ametaireau at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 15:48:23 CEST 2010

Hello,

Firstly, as Tarek said in another thread, I'm afraid this kill the PEP381
about making a mirroring infrastructure.
Having a infrastructure hosted on a cloud platform may be confortable, and
probably needed to have a 24/7 running system, but
we need to take care of letting possible the creation of new public mirrors,
outside from the Amazon (or whatever) cloud infrastructure.

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:49 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> PyPI is currently run from a single server hosted in The Netherlands
> (ximinez.python.org).  This server is run by a very small team of sys
> admin.

As Martin von Löwis said, this already exists. "a.mirrors.pypi.python.org
 and b.mirrors.pypi.python.org are already there and could be used by
clients". Maybe Martin can you explain us (apologies if this is already done
somewhere) how things are working from now ? Is this possible to rely on the
existing work rather than using a cloud system ? What's the in place
infrastructure ?

Alexis