[Catalog-sig] Proposal to Reverse Ordering of Scraped Links in PyPI

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jul 26 01:03:51 CEST 2010

At 10:41 PM 7/25/2010 +0000, Armin Ronacher wrote:
>As a fix I would recommend just listing the latest links on the simple page or
>to reverse the order so that easy_install picks up the right one.

Detection order isn't part of the algorithm (at least for
easy_install), so that won't actually help here.

The real issue here is that hidden links are shown for hidden
releases on /simple pages at all.  Martin says that "users requested
it", but IMO this is an instance where what users request isn't
necessarily best.

If a user wants to access hidden versions of a package, they can
always do so by direct targeting, the -f option, or the
dependency_links setup() keyword.