[Catalog-sig] PyPI mirror system is up

Alexis Métaireau ametaireau at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:52:00 CEST 2010

> The next step will be to add a geoloc feature, but PyPI DNS doesn't
> have such feature,
> so I was thinking about having some kind of ping mechanism from the
> client to sort
> the mirrors by round trip duration.

Maybe can we have a look at the debian netselect package [1]. I'm thinking
about a simple tool to select the nearest/quicker server, and update a
configuration somewhere (something like ~/.config/distutils2/mirror.cfg),
then use it by default.

I'm updating the mirror support in distutils2 to reflect last PEP changes,
and will provide it in distutils2.mirrors.py, I guess.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/netselect

Cheers,
Alexis