[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 15:39:59 CET 2010

On 1/23/2010 7:46 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> That's a tricky one: That extra sentence "I further affirm..."
> introduces a restriction that goes beyond what US developers
> normally have to follow. And the way it is written, it also
> applies to developers not affected by US law.
>
> However, that restriction basically says that PyPI package
> may never be intended for use by government end-users, which
> IMHO goes way too far - we have quite a few government users...
>
> I'd just drop that extra limitation, since the first sentence
> already covers all restrictions that a government may have
> imposed on such uploads.

There are specific restrictions that mandate the additional language
about foreign government end-users. Sorry :)

Also see MvL for the thought that went into the current wording. As I
have stated before, the wording doesn't grant the PSF the authority to
relicense or make derivative works of the content. Rather, it allows the
PSF (and mirrors, and people who use PyPI) to reproduce exactly the
content that was uploaded to PyPI.

Thanks,

Van