[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Jan 23 10:40:29 CET 2010

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> In order to make it clear that PyPI data may only be mirrored
>> for redistribution with PSF authorization, we need to add proper
>> notices to PyPI and also prevent such mirroring technically
>> (if possible).
>
> However, I don't think this is factually the case: *anybody*
> can indeed mirror the data in any way they like. This is how
> it is, and how it should be.

Sure, downloading things from PyPI is its main intent and
that's also what the proposed PyPI terms allow the PSF to
do.

However, there's a huge difference between just downloading
content and redistributing it. The latter is what we're discussing
here.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 23 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/