[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jan 22 10:58:51 CET 2010

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> OK. That's not what I understood since he proposed a cloud system run
>> by the PSF for the PyPI mirrors.  Which implied (to me) those were
>> official mirrors.
>
> For some reason (which I don't understand) MAL is opposed to the notion
> of mirrors. If the complaints about a mirroring system are somehow
> fundamental, there isn't anything we can do about it, so I propose we
> just proceed, anyway. The way the PEP process is structured, it would
> then be up to the BDFL (not the PSF board) to ultimately decide on the
> entire subject.

The PEP only covers the technical issues. I'm not arguing against
anything technical here.

When it comes to the implementation of the PEP on python.org,
things look different though. The PSF is running the python.org site
and PyPI. It is also the legal partner when signing up for PyPI usage
and needs to looks after that uploaded data.

As a result, the PSF has to decide what to do about mirrors.

For plone.org's PyPI installation, the Plone Foundation would have to
decide, for other PyPI installation the resp. entities running those
installations will have to decide.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 22 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/