[Catalog-sig] PyPI down?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:03:15 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Jannis Leidel <jannis at leidel.info> wrote:
[..]

> With "unsychronized" I mean indexes that are registered with PyPI to mirror it, but aren't up-to-date because of loss of connectivity/failure/interest.

So in  that case pip will just have to check for the last modified
date, as explained in the PEP, to know how "fresh" a mirror is. The
strategy to take depending on this freshness it's up to the client
program.

> Will the mirrors check periodically the main index for updates?

Mirrors are dealing on their own to be up-to-date, by checking PyPI
periodically.

> Or will PyPI send out a message to the slaves, requesting an update, e.g. with WebHooks [1] or PubSubHubbub [2]?

No, the only event that will happen is the daily call the PyPI server
will do on each mirror to get the stats. But that's unrelated to the
mirror being updated.

> Is this API going to be open for other non-official/non-open mirrors?

Which API ?

>> The PEP defines the mirroring protocol and the pages to be maintained
>> in a PyPI like server.
>
> Oh, you mean it will define it? Since there is just a placeholder on [3] :)

As I said earlier, the mirroring (or should I say the 'fetch')
protocol is already defined and in usage for quite a time
(easy_install, z3c.pypimirror). Here it's just a matter of writing it
down here.

The rest of the PEP is just defining standard places/formats for stats
files and last modified dates.

Tarek