[Catalog-sig] How to make and see comments on PyPI

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sun Apr 11 13:57:10 CEST 2010

Am 11.04.2010 11:51, schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
> I'm having problems seeing comments on PyPI. I am already logged in,
> using either Firefox or Konqueror.
>
> I can find projects that have "Rate this release" buttons and a "Review"
> text box, e.g. this one chosen at random:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/bzr-bash-completion/1.1.0
>
> I presume Review is the comment system, but I can't find any existing
> comments. Could it be that I've just been unlucky and every one of the
> dozen or two projects I've looked at have never had any comments?

Quite possible.  This is a big problem with the comments/rating facility:
Happy users are unlikely to use it, or even find it, e.g. when installing
packages via easy_pip.  Unhappy users try harder to find some way to let
the author know, and abuse the comments either to make bug reports or to
rant indiscriminately, as was recently witnessed by Skip.

> In particular, I'd like to leave a comment on my own project -- I've
> discovered a minor issue with the release, too minor to bother making
> an immediate new release just to fix, and so would like to leave a
> comment noting the issue. But I can see no way of leaving a comment.

I don't think a comment would be an appropriate way to make such a fix.
You can edit the metadata records without making a new release, can't you?

Georg