[Catalog-sig] Rating feature

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Wed Sep 16 23:28:05 CEST 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:24:16 -0700, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
wrote:

> Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:
> Are the ratings specific to a package or its release? I ask because
> rating description reads: "Rate this release". Ok, playing with it for a
> while suggests that the ratings are release-specific .. for
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pygments/1.1 and
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pygments/1.1.1 have different ratings.
>  I am not sure how release ratings are useful.
>  I think release specific is a good idea.
> If a package has many brown bag releases, you might consider not using
> it. If it only has one or two in a long line of releases, and all the
> other ratings are high, then it should be fine

I suppose by 'long line of releases' you are referring to, for instance,
CherryPy-2.x and CherryPy-3.x? This means, however, we would get ratings
for all the minor releases ... and looking at PyPI CherryPy has several of
them:

CherryPy 3.1.2
CherryPy 3.1.1
CherryPy 3.1.0
CherryPy 3.0.3
CherryPy 3.0.2
CherryPy 3.0.1
CherryPy 3.0.0
CherryPy 2.3.0
CherryPy 2.2.1
CherryPy 2.2.0
CherryPy 2.1.1
CherryPy 2.1.0
CherryPy 2.0.0-final
CherryPy 0.10

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/CherryPy

1) Why would one be interested in knowing different ratings for each and
every minor version?
2) If I want to find the rating of CherryPy - as a whole - where should I
go?

-srid