[Catalog-sig] simple index and urls exracted from metadata text fields

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 03:17:25 CEST 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 2:43 AM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>> That's a "PEAK Developer center" website page that was not
>> updated for years AFAIK.
>
> It's also an SVN-controlled text file, EasyInstall.txt, which is found in
> the root of both the setuptools trunk and branch - a file that is
> automatically updated on the wiki whenever an 0.6 branch release is cut --

Ok sorry, not years, 11 months for this particular file (and for the
whole setuptools project)

http://svn.python.org/view/sandbox/branches/setuptools-0.6/EasyInstall.txt?view=log

> as you would know if you'd read the release.sh script before it was deleted
> from your fork of setuptools.

IIRC the first line of this file says : "if your initials are not PJE
don't run it"

http://svn.python.org/view/sandbox/branches/setuptools-0.6/release.sh?view=markup

So I removed it because my initials are T.Z.

Well, our fork is not a one-man-project, so we don't put initials like
that, our release.sh
can be run by anyone that is in the project. It's a community project.

>> I have read that page many times, but that
>> doesn't means that
>> PyPI still complies exactly like what this page says.
>
> My comments have not been about PyPI; they've been about incorrect
> statements made regarding the behavior of easy_install.  That being said,
> you didn't ask Martin whether PyPI still complied with that API, implying
> that you were entirely unaware of it.

Yes, you made a point, I am a bit of a stupid guy, I keep on forgetting things
and I made an incorrect statement here.

But fortunately, you are promptly replying when someone makes
incorrect statements
about this tool, and enlight us.

We can't have you maintaining setuptools, but at least we have your help here.

Thanks Phillip,

>> (and nothing says so)
>
> That's not actually true, either; see:
>
>  http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopDev
>
> where you will find a link to the PEAK page...  and a history that indicates
> Martin has at least read the page once or twice.  ;-)  (At any rate, he's
> edited it before.)
>

>> I hope you're OK if I copy (and add the missing bits) this text
>> section into distutils
>> documentation in a PyPI page ?
>
> I suspect that what you actually want is to document the API provided by
> PyPI, rather than the API expected by easy_install, but if it helps you as a
> starting point, go for it.

ok then.

thanks for your help