[Catalog-sig] OpenID on PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Sep 11 09:12:05 CEST 2009

>> However, I disagree that this is the idea. Instead, the idea is
>> to have an open protocol, to allow for competition between providers.
>
>>From http://openid.net/specs/openid-authentication-2_0.html:
>
> "OpenID is decentralized. No central authority must approve or register
> Relying Parties or OpenID Providers. An end user can freely choose which
> OpenID Provider to use, and can preserve their Identifier if they switch
> OpenID Providers."
>
> Sounds pretty clear to me.

To me as well. There is no need for a central authority to approve
providers - but for me, as a relying party, I certainly have the freedom
to rely on some providers, but not on others (not being a central
authority myself, in the OpenID world). Unfortunately, the OpenID
publicity always focuses on the freedom of end users, but not on the
freedom of relying parties.