[Catalog-sig] OpenID login to PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 18 00:24:04 CET 2009

> Well, python-openid is written in Python, so it should be possible
> to add whatever special functionality you need.

For this, I would like to see contributions.

I found myself that it is absolutely necessary to understand the actual
message flow,  so I couldn't have used the package before implementing
a client myself - perhaps I might now be able to understand how to use
it. For mod_auth_openid, I still cannot grasp how to use it.

> With mod_auth_openid, you'd use a separate login page for the
> OpenID login, so there wouldn't be a mixup between the two
> variants.

That would be unfortunate UI clutter, IMO.

> Since you were looking for simplification of the used code,
> it may be worthwhile looking at these two options to outsource
> the complexity into a 3rd party tool. Both come with their own
> session database to handle the authentication process sessions.

Please go ahead and do so.

> Note that I'm only suggesting to look at these things in
> order to simplify the implementation.

At least for python-openid, my feeling would be that it is actually
more complicated to use the library than to write my own.

For mod_auth_openid, a shallow glance also looks like using it
would be quite some challenge.