[Catalog-sig] Finalising PEP-345 - Requires-Python

david.lyon at preisshare.net david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu Dec 31 04:54:48 CET 2009

> Again, it's a poor assumption that the dependency specifications will be
> read as though they follow the rules of Python syntax. The colon doesn't
> obviously mean what you're wanting it to mean in that context. Please
> lose the Python-language bias when assessing these issues.

That's not the point at all.

The point is consistency from one section to another
within the same PEP/metadata file.

> Requires-Dist (multiple use)
>
> Examples:
>
> Requires-Dist: pkginfo
> Requires-Dist: PasteDeploy
> Requires-Dist: zope.interface (>3.5.0)

If we can have the multiple-use rule for other sections, why
cannot we use that same rule in the same file in another
section.

Making it:

> Requires-Python (multiple use)
>
> Examples:
>
> Requires-Dist: >= 2.4
> Requires-Dist: < 2.7

It doesn't make sense to move to an entirely different
representation (using the comma) when there is already
a convention for multiple-use running through the file
as it has stood for many years.

I just want it to be consistant.. otherwise it gets
more complicated and harder than it needs to be.

David