[Catalog-sig] Proposal: export PKG-INFO to the PyPI /simple tree

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sat Dec 26 04:31:28 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> In the interests of making it easier to mirror package data consistently
>> with the uploaded package files, could we add to PyPI the feature that
>> it would save a version-stamped copy of the PKG-INFO file (as read
>> during registration) to the project's directory underneath /simple?
>
> Can you please give an explicit example of what exact URL should return
> what exact data. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not sure what
> precisely it is what you want.

OK, the current 'simple' page for the 'pkginfo' project lists:

- - pkginfo-0.2.tar.gz
- - pkginfo-0.3.tar.gz
- - pkginfo-0.5.tar.gz
- - pkginfo-0.4.1.tar.gz
- - pkginfo-0.1.tar.gz
- - pkginfo-0.1.1.tar.gz
- - pkginfo-0.4.tar.gz
- - http://packages.python.org/pkginfo/

I am proposing to add the following, each populated according to the
data submutted by registering the corresponding version of the project:
 For projects which have more than one distribution for a given
registered version, only one PKG-INFO.{version} would be written.

- - PKG-INFO-0.1
- - PKG-INFO-0.1.1
- - PKG-INFO-0.2
- - PKG-INFO-0.3
- - PKG-INFO-0.4
- - PKG-INFO-0.4.1
- - PKG-INFO-0.5

>> Folks who mirrored that tree using rsync could then write tools to
>> rebuild the index without requiring any extension to the PyPI XML-RPC
>> API to support mirroring.
>
> No, they couldn't:
> a) there is no rsync server on pypi, and
> b) /simple does not exist on disk

Hmm, I was relying on what was likely a misread of others' claim that
tools like rsync could already mirror the uploaded distributions.

> However, they *could* mirror it then with wget (although wget is known

I guess using wget to mirror it is OK:  the absence of rsync makes it me
only +0 on my own proposal, however.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com