[Catalog-sig] Extending the package meta-data with more detailed download information

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Dec 3 13:18:29 CET 2009

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>> ISTM that it would be better to be able to add new such URLs one
>>> by one, e.g. through a web form.
>>
>> I don't think that's a feasible approach, e.g. eGenix typically
>> creates around 50 distribution files for every single release
>> of a product.
>>
>> In most cases, only the version number changes, so this can
>> easily be done using sed or in a text editor.
>>
>> I agree, though, that an RPC interface would also be possible
>> to automate such a registration process, e.g. via a new
>> register_distribution command.
>
> Notice that there really isn't much difference between a form
> and an RPC interface. The register and upload commands exclusively
> use "forms".

Technically, that's true. However, a web form is normally meant for
web users to work with and in this case, you can hardly expect a
user to enter all those details by hand. It would also be error-prone.
That's why I used the term RPC.

I was actually thinking of using the XML-RPC interface to PyPI, but
the REST interface would do just as well.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 03 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/