[Catalog-sig] OpenID

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Aug 29 19:49:26 CEST 2009

> I'm afraid I don't understand the question, but that may be because I'm
> on the periphery of our support.
>
> This page is very simple, but might answer some questions:
> https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/OpenID .
>
> For example, my Launchpad openid is https://launchpad.net/~gary .
>
> If this doesn't help, let me know, and I'll pass the question along to
> someone more knowledgeable.

That's the OpenID 1 view of the world. In the OpenID 2 world, you don't
need to know your OpenID - you just need to know you have a Launchpad ID.

When asked in an OpenID login box, you *don't* enter
"https://launchpad.net/~gary" anymore. Instead, you just enter
"https://launchpad.net" (or click on the Launchpad icon). The OpenID
machinery will then steer you through the login process. You may have
to confirm that you want to login into PyPI (*), but you won't have to
tell anywhere explicitly that you are gary - assuming you had logged
into Launchpad before.

This much improved user experience is the key feature of OpenID 2.0.

(*) if you had confirmed this before, you may get logged in
immediately after clicking the Launchpad icon.