[Catalog-sig] Adding package pydoc to PyPI

James William Pye python at jwp.name
Sat May 17 18:30:23 CEST 2008

For those that are curious, I have been writing some code in this direction. The
"jwp_pkg_documentation" package provides a setuptools command ``dist_doc`` that
extracts a package's documentation into the ``dist/doc.xml`` file.

RNG for the produced XML:
	https://svn.jwp.name/lib/python/pkg_documentation/fork/v0.9.1/validation/pypkg.rng

Example output(buggy and far from where I want it to be):
	http://python.projects.postgresql.org/doc/pg_proboscis-1.0.html

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:24:46AM +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> See above. If you implement the service, I would consider it feasible
> to provide a link to a package's pydoc documentation in PyPI
> (similar to homepage and download_url; say documentation_url), although
> support for that in distutils probably requires a PEP.

I really like this idea. Even in the absence of the proposed service, I think
this would be very useful.