[Catalog-sig] Request: Interface to index of package-metadata

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 21 19:45:22 CET 2008

> I did some research on which interfaces are available to retrieve
> data from the index. The two most promising interfaces are the
> XML-RPCs and http://pypi.python.org/simple. But both lack a compact
> index (information that I can download with only one request) that
> contains at least the package names and the available versions.

I can't quite understand where the need for a *single* request comes
from. The information is surely available by use of multiple requests.

> Would it be possibe to extend the existing interfaces so that they
> fit this needs?
>
> I'll gladly help working on those new interfaces if help is wanted.
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Indeed, such an interface could only become reality by means of
somebody contributing it. However, before you start doing so:
have you considered alternatives, such as using multiple requests,
along with incremental updates?

If the interface were available, how would you use it? (e.g. how
often, and what for)