[Catalog-sig] Trove reference

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jan 9 19:41:57 CET 2008

> For my understanding, I was wondering how the Trove tree behaves.
>
> Is it a free tree, where people
> will add branches and leaves with no particular rule, or does it have
> some rules (like unique leave names for instance) ?

It's free tree, yes.

The major rule is that we won't add new classifiers in advance, i.e.
without an actual need. My personal view on "actual need" is that
there must be at least two packages that would be classified under
the classifier, or else it is pointless having it.

I personally don't view the trove as a tree at all (and had a
hard time understanding why you were referring to it as a "tree" -
classification/taxonomy are words that I would have understood
better - I still don't see why the leaves would play a special
role, as any leave can become an inner node at any time).