[Catalog-sig] PyPI Enhancements

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 21:29:42 CET 2008

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

>> When a user call the register or the upload command with such a file, it
>> will loop through every section, and ask the used at the prompt if he
>> wants
>> to perform the action over the given server.
>
> I'm with Fred here. The distutils command line interface should avoid
> interactivity, and receive all input through command line options.
>
> If people still want interactive tools, they should build on top of
> distutils commands (or perhaps be additional commands).

Ok, sounds right, I have changed to doc accordingly

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Ok, so you are after separate storage mechanisms. I'm opposed, as
> I don't see why anybody would want to have that - specifically,
> what else do you want to store it in, and why? What's wrong with
> PostgreSQL?
> Also, and again: pypi *already* has store.py. Is it not good enough
> to provide an alternative implementation of that class? Where you
> have list_classifiers(), store.Store has get_classifiers. Where you
> have file_upload, store.Store has add_file. So it seems to me that
> this request is already implemented, except that it doesn't use
> Zope interfaces.

Ok, I dropped that part

So what remains in the document is:

- change the PyPI code so it warns on unexisting classifier
- change the .pypirc file so it has several sections (Fred's model)
- change the distutils register and upload commands so it works with the new
.pypirc file,
  and let the user choose the server in the command line

Regards
Tarek