[Catalog-sig] Make setuptools smarter?

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Wed Feb 27 21:54:28 CET 2008

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> One minor possible hurdle is that package_releases() doesn't list
> *all* available versions, only the "unhidden" ones.  It might be nice
> to have a separate API to request *all* versions.

Done. package_relases now takes (package_name, show_hidden=False) - setting
show_hidden to True will make it list all versions, hidden or not.

> OTOH, I have to say that the availability of the new "simple" API
> makes it a lot more tempting to just use that.  Because there, I can
> make just *one* server round trip to get all the data I need,
> assuming that the user has properly spelled and capitalized the
> package name.  Whereas, with the XML-RPC API, it requires a minimum
> of two calls.

Unless we write a new call ... what_setuptools_needs(package_name) which does
a search on the name, then case-insensitive if that fails and returns the egg
URLs.

> (And of course, the "simple" API can be statically
> mirrored, while XML-RPC cannot.)

Yep.

    Richard