[Catalog-sig] Hosting documentation on PyPI

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Aug 6 21:54:35 CEST 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> On second thought, simply by using a read-only domain (one that has no
>> admin on the domain itself) you'd also be fine.  So
>> http://pypidocs.python.org/package/* would work fine, so long as all the
>> management for that remained on pypi.python.org.
>>
>> I personally like domains for projects, though package.pypi.python.org
>> is a bit long winded anyway.
>
> It's not longer eventually than pypi.python.org/package, and I think I
> need to put /version also into it (right?), so with separate hosts, I
> get http://package.pypi.python.org/version, perhaps with the empty URL
> redirecting to the latest version.

I'm not that happy with PyPI versioning as it is (it seems to hurt
searchability), and versioned docs would be worse yet.  Whenever I've
thought about versioned docs, it seemed reasonable only if everything
but the main version was hidden from search engines.  Coming upon old
docs (perhaps because an old version lived for the longest) is a real
problem with programming documentation that lives in too many places.

Also, I'd like the "current" version to be bookmarkable.  If every URL
is bound to a version then you can't do that.

I guess I'd rather projects manage the whole space independently.  If
you want versioned docs, upload directories of docs for every version.
If you don't want that, then don't.  At least that lets projects do
things like put in no-index tags into their version-specific docs, or
put warnings into old doc versions.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org