[Catalog-sig] Hosting documentation on PyPI

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Aug 6 20:31:15 CEST 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> I personally like domains for projects, though package.pypi.python.org
>> is a bit long winded anyway.  A new top-level domain (pypackage.org or
>> pyforge.org or something) would mitigate that.  But any place to drop
>> docs would be nice.  Especially with Sphinx I think we'll get more
>> libraries with multi-page HTML docs.
>
> What about distribution names with dots in them? Or worse, spaces? Both
> are allowed by setuptools and PyPI and I've seen them in the wild
> (especially dotted distribution names aren't uncommon when a namespaced
> package is distributed under its package name, e.g. zope.interface).

Can't they be normalized?  I.e.:

   re.sub('--+', '-', re.sub('[^a-z0-9]', '-', package.lower()))

I *think* package names should be unique after this normalization, but
I'm not sure.  It would be nice if no packages relied on punctuation or
case to make them unique, regardless of this domain issue.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org