[Catalog-sig] Deprecation warnings on PyPI

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Nov 2 01:48:04 CET 2007

At 07:21 PM 11/1/2007 -0400, Yannick Gingras wrote:

>Greetings Catalogers,
>   I'm the maintainer of a setuptools plugin for git called gitlsfiles.
>After the urge to push my first release out of the door had subsided,
>I could not help but to realize that it was a really silly name that I
>had chosen for this plugin.  So I engaged the other setuptools plugin
>maintainers for advice and we all agreed that it would be best for
>everyone if our plugins were called setuptools_<rcs>.
>
>I'm about to push setuptools_git 0.3 out of the door but I want people
>to stop using gitlsfiles.  I understand, thanks to Barry Warsaw's
>investigation, that PyPI has currently no support for automatic
>redirection for deprecated packages.
>
>How should we proceed to indicate that the old package are deprecated?
>Upload a newer PKG-INFO with a big deprecation warning and no files?
>Any other suggestions?

Release a new "version" whose sole purpose is to let people know the
package no longer exists, e.g.:  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ObjectRoles/

Now, in my case, I included files that actually wrap the replacement
package, so dependencies still work.  But for your use case, you
could just omit the distribution files.