[Catalog-sig] Changing cheeseshop.python.org to pypi.python.org

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jul 25 00:07:17 CEST 2007

> I didn't come up with the name "distribution". Distutils did that.
> Whether we like it or not, the Python Library Reference defines this term.
>
>   http://docs.python.org/dist/distutils-term.html
>
> We have a real problem with terminology.

Perhaps. I notice that the page you refer to does *not* define
the term "distribution", but "module distribution". I also notice
that PyPI is not an index for these (i.e. .tar.gz or whatever
files containing Python modules). Instead, in *indexes* Python
projects (as Richard calls them, and I think quite correctly
so). Each project then may have multiple _releases_, and each
of them may refer to distributions (but not only so, it
also refers to a home page, an author, a description, Trove
classifiers, etc).

FWIW, the distutils terminology would make it "PyMDI" :-)