[Catalog-sig] Changing cheeseshop.python.org to pypi.python.org

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 24 23:43:20 CEST 2007

> I'll note that "Package Index"  is somewhat misleading, because it
> actually indexes distributions, not packages.  A more precise name would
> be pydi and wouldn't be so easily confused with pypy.  (Jim ducks. Jim
> looks forward to pydi tee shirts.)

That's actually irrelevant. There is no option to name it something
*other* than either PyPI or Cheeseshop. Naming it something else
has been tried and failed tremendously, so I won't try it again
(and being the main PyPI maintainer at the moment, nobody else
has a chance to try something else - if you want to give it a
name, contribute to it for a few years, then have your own try).

FWIW, "distribution" is quite misleading. SuSE is a Distribution
(of Linux), and so is Debian; ActivePython is a distribution of
Python (I think - before coming to that area, I would have though
that "the distribution of Python varies across continents").