[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 24 06:40:18 CEST 2007

Phillip J. Eby schrieb:
> At 11:13 PM 7/23/2007 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> > Yes, especially since compatibility with the existing installation
>> > base requires case insensitivity, because on case-insensitive
>> > platforms easy_install already normalizes the case of filenames it
>> > creates.  So, the question of what the "right thing" to do is in the
>> > abstract has already been moot for a year or two.
>>
>> Can you elaborate a bit, please? Why does the case of filenames
>> matter for the queries it makes?
>
> In order to resolve dependencies, the system looks at installed .egg
> files and directories (and .egg-info direcories), and extracts package
> name and version info from the filenames.

Still - why does that require case-insensitive lookups to the index?

Suppose a package specifies a dependency Foo. IIUC, you look on disk
whether foo is already present, finding the version(s) of foo installed
in that process. Then, this either is satisfying or not. If it is,
you don't need the index at all. If it is not, you need to go to the
index - but you still know that it is Foo that you were looking for,
no? So lookups for dependencies in the index could always be
case-sensitive; please correct me if I'm wrong.