[Catalog-sig] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jul 21 19:48:16 CEST 2007

At 07:00 PM 7/21/2007 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> > I've created and experimental prototype setuptools-specific package
> > index at
> >
> >    http://download.zope.org/ppix
>
>I've now added something similar as
>
>http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple/

It's very fast, thanks.

>It differs from your site in a few ways:
>
>- it does include a top-level index of all packages (but neither
>   releases nor descriptions)

Unfortunately, that doesn't help current versions of setuptools.  See
point #7 of:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#package-index-api

Setuptools looks for release links, not package links on that page.

Compare:

$ easy_install -vvvi http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple Pywin32
Searching for Pywin32
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple/Pywin32/
Couldn't find index page for 'Pywin32' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple/
No local packages or download links found for Pywin32
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('Pywin32')

$ easy_install -vvvi http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi Pywin32
Searching for Pywin32
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Pywin32/
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/pywin32/210
Reading http://sf.net/projects/pywin32

>- it's always current, due to being dynamically computed
>- it may differ in the precise list of URLs displayed;
>   if there are important deviations, please let me know.

Jim's already mentioned these, but the rel="" info (per the index API
spec's point #6), and the links embedded in the long_description
field (per point #4) are missing.  Without these, easy_install can't
find sourceforge links, subversion checkouts, or any other embedded
direct download links.  For example:

$ easy_install -vvvi http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple pywin32
Searching for pywin32
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple/pywin32/
No local packages or download links found for pywin32
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('pywin32')

$ easy_install -vvvi http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi pywin32
Searching for pywin32
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/pywin32/
Reading http://sf.net/projects/pywin32
Reading http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=78018
Found link:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pywin32/pywin32-210.win32-py2.2.exe?modtime=1159009204&big_mirror=0
...[a dozen more links]

$ easy_install -i http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple setuptools==dev
Searching for setuptools==dev
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple/setuptools/
No local packages or download links found for setuptools==dev
error: Could not find suitable distribution for
Requirement.parse('setuptools==dev')

$ easy_install -i http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi setuptools==dev
Searching for setuptools==dev
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/setuptools/