[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jul 20 22:09:39 CEST 2007

At 07:06 AM 7/19/2007 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>I've created and experimental prototype setuptools-specific package
>index at
>
>    http://download.zope.org/ppix
>
>Going to that page gives brief instructions for using it with
>easy_install and zc.buildout.

FYI, the handling of homepage and download links is broken.  You have
e.g. 'meta="homepage"' instead of 'rel="homepage"', so easy_install
doesn't pick these up and look for links there, meaning that ppix
fails to find downloads for e.g. pywin32 which is hosted at Sourceforge.

(On a perhaps not entirely unrelated note, the Cheeseshop appears to
be down at the moment:

"""Error...

There's been a problem with your request

psycopg.OperationalError: no connection to the server""")

By the way, I'd suggest explaining (or linking to an explanation) on
the ppix main page describing how to configure easy_install such that
the '-i' option isn't necessary.  Perhaps we could add an example to
the EasyInstall docs somewhere near:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#creating-your-own-package-index

and then link to it from the ppix page.