[Catalog-sig] Effect of HTTP 1.1

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jul 13 19:54:57 CEST 2007

On Jul 13, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> I did some measurements, with the script below.
> For 30 requests, a single HTTP 1.1 connection
> needs 5.4s over my DSL connection; 30 individual
> connections need 11.7s.

Interesting.  Your DSL times for connection/request are actually
longer than what I'm seeing. Maybe geography isn't so important.
Measurements are good.  It's going to be interesting to see how this
all pans out.   It''s definitely interesting that you doubled the
throughput using a single connection.

> So if setuptools expects
> to request multiple pages from the index, it would
> definitely be useful to keep the connection
> (I don't know at all whether it currently does so
> already).

I don't think so.

This also looks like a good optimization for xmlrpclib.

Thanks for trying this.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org